Assistant Professor Position
Universidad de Los Andes was established in 1948 and is the number 1 research university in Colombia, number 6 in Latin America, and 220 in the world according to the QSWorld University Rankings. The University is in the capital of the country, Bogotá, with an altitude of 2600 meters and almost perfect weather. The city is well connected with the world, as it possesses one of the most important airports in the region (the third one in Latin America in terms of people, and the number one in cargo volume). Also, it is the home of the country's largest number of universities and research centers, as well as an important cultural and gastronomic center.
The Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering (DIELE) at Universidad de Los Andes, Bogotá, Colombia (UA) invites outstanding candidates for a professorship appointment in digitally assisted analog and RF circuit design, 5G and 6G communications hardware, platform integration of massive IoT, massive machine type of communication (mMTC) for 5G – 6G, platform integration of broadband IoT for 5G – 6G, cyber-security for critical infrastructure, physical layer security in wireless networks, reconfigurable intelligent surfaces (RIS) and intelligent reflecting surfaces (IRS) for 5G – 6G and/or electronic systems and circuit design with demonstrated experience in applications (e.g. IoT systems, embedded AI, wearable systems, hardware robotics, embedded systems, VLSI, instrumentation systems) and other related areas in communications and/or microelectronics science and technology. It is expected that the candidate will have good autonomy allowing her/him to get involved in projects that she/he will determine, and to find external resources through partnerships with various players in the industrial and academic worlds. Positions will be nominally at the Assistant Professor level; however, highly-qualified and experienced candidates at the Associate Professor level will also be considered based on the recommendation that will be provided by the promotion committee of the School of Engineering.
Successful candidates will develop and maintain her/his own creative-interdisciplinary externally-funded research program, advise and mentor undergraduate and graduate students, publish in the top journals and international conferences, and contribute broadly to both undergraduate and graduate teaching in the DIELE program at UA. The Department values interdisciplinary and collaborative research and innovative approaches to inclusive engineering education
The candidate will:
- Be responsible for teaching courses at all study levels (i.e., undergraduate and postgraduate), as well as in programs of continuing education, summer school, etc.
- Supervise the final diploma research (i.e., theses) of undergraduate and graduate students and Ph.D. theses.
- Be involved in (and/or supervise, and promote) research programs.
- Be available to carry out, in the long term, different service activities and take on responsibilities within the University and its entities.
- Promote cooperation schemes between Industry, government institutions, and academies.
- Contribute to the international visibility of the University through teaching and research excellence.
Candidates are expected to hold a Ph.D. or equivalent degree in Electrical Engineering or a related field at the time of application. Also, it is desired that she/he demonstrates a record of excellence in research and proven ability as an outstanding teacher. A post-doctoral period in a research laboratory different from the one in which she/he carried out her/his Ph.D. studies (preferably within an institution or a foreign laboratory), or some experience in another institution at the professorship level will be strongly appreciated.
To represent the field internationally, excellent written and spoken English skills are required. If Spanish language skills are not available, the willingness to learn them is expected during the first year. Applications from women are strongly encouraged.
The candidate should include:
- A Cover Letter (limited to two pages) including i) most significant scientific accomplishment as a graduate student; ii) most significant scientific accomplishment in your postgraduate career (if applicable); iii) overall goals/vision for a research program at our institution, and iv) experience and qualifications that make you particularly well suited to achieve those goals.
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Research Statement
- Broader Impact Statement that explicitly highlights how his/her research is connected to global or local challenges and goals.
- Statement of Teaching.
- Three to five reference letters
Applications will be examined by a jury comprising some representatives of the School of Engineering. The initial stages may require an interview. The candidates selected during the preselection of applications will be invited to present their background, their work, and their scientific project to this jury.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Informal enquiries are welcome and should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: 1st March, 2023. All the information should be sent to: email@example.com